Welcome to the Submissions page for Ukweli - The Howard University Undergraduate Research Journal. Here you will find information regarding Eligibility and Submission Types, Submission Guidelines, Our Review Process, and Frequently Asked Questions.
Are you interested in submitting your research to The Howard University Undergraduate Research Journal? Please peruse these pages in which the form to Submit will be located at the end of each if you are eligible and when ready to do so.
If selected, authors will be honored during the Spring 2023 Howard University Research Month Award Ceremony.
While submissions are accepted on a rolling basis, to be considered for the next publication, you must submit your manuscript by the submissions deadline.
We look forward to reviewing your work submitted to Ukweli - The Howard University Undergraduate Research Journal for publication. The impactful thought from and research conducted by undergraduates at The Mecca is more necessary now than ever.
For submission guidelines, eligibility, and formatting, refer to the downloadable document below.
Frequently Asked Questions
- The first author must be Howard University undergraduate.
- All submissions must be accompanied by an abstract and summary as described in the submission form.
The formatting guidelines are as follows:
- Submissions may not exceed 40 pages, including all figures/tables and references.
- The submission should be formatted in Times New Roman 12-point font. Research articles, literature reviews, and research reports must be double spaced.
- The document submitted must be an anonymous copy i.e. all identifiers including names, emails, and lab information must be removed from the submitted document.
- Please upload your file as a .docx, .doc, or .pdf.
- Figures and tables must be appropriately and consistently referenced, labelled, and marked. Captions for figures must be below images. Titles for tables must be above the table.
- Citations must be formatted in footnotes embedded within the main text. References should be formatted as follows: Authors (Year). Title. Source/Journal/Book. Volume, Page Numbers.
- Please use MLA style formatting for research submitted to the Humanities section. Please use APA style formatting for research submitted to the Social Sciences or STEM sections. Resources for formatting using MLA style can be found here, and resources for formatting using APA style can be found here.
Therefore, with this in mind, formal research papers will be encompassed, but to expand the diversity of the journal to a more interdisciplinary focus, course essays, senior theses, study abroad write-ups, case studies, reviews, op-eds (rooted in comprehensive research and factual information) are all acceptable forms for submissions and will be considered for publication.